Erosion Intervention Sites
NEWMAP-Kano has five (5) Erosion Control Intervention sites of whose the completed perimeter survey details is within the table below, while the Contours , Flow Direction and Flow Accumulation zones where extracted through GIS Remote Sensing Approach using 2019 DEM from SRTM Raster :-
1. GIS Baseline Data Collection Project:-
|S/no||Site Name||LGA Name||Project Status||Remarks||ArcGIS Online Map Link|
|1||Bulbula Gayawa||Nassarawa||Completed.||GIS baseline data completed||https://arcg.is/0G5eDW|
|2||Kamanda||Kiru||Completed.||GIS baseline data completed||https://arcg.is/1Hu1n1|
|3||Kauyen ALU||Kumbotso||Completed.||GIS baseline data completed||https://arcg.is/0GOuaG|
|4||Rarin||Dawakin Tofa||Completed.||GIS baseline data completed||https://arcg.is/15zO910|
|5||Tudun Fulani||Ungogo||Completed.||GIS baseline data completed||https://arcg.is/1y4S9H|
2. Erosion Intervention Project Implementation action:-
|S/no||Site Name||LGA Name||Project Status||Remarks|
|1||Bulbula Gayawa||Nassarawa||Ongoing||Process of engaging a consultant is ongoing.|
|2||Kamanda||Kiru||Ongoing||Process of engaging a consultant is ongoing.|
|3||Kauyen ALU||Kumbotso||Ongoing||Process of engaging a consultant is ongoing.|
|4||Rarin||Dawakin Tofa||Ongoing||Process of engaging a consultant is ongoing.|
|5||Tudun Fulani||Ungogo||Ongoing||Process of engaging a consultant is ongoing.|
1. Bulbula Gayawa is located at Nassarawa LGA where from the east “Layin Inusa etc,” towns and from the west is “Layin Mai Washi”, from the South is “Tudun Katsinawa” town and from the North “Gadar Alkali”, the Site has a geometry location on Lat: 452,010.484 and Long.:1,331,020.265 Meters WGS projected Coordinate System.
This is a major gully within a densely low income area of the Kano Metropolis. Already several families have been displayed with hundreds of houses and roads and other infrastructures destroyed. This project will not only save the remaining property and infrastructures in the area but also help to stem the growing menace.
2. Kamanda Erosion control intervention Site is located in Kiru LGA of Kano State. It is bounded by “Unguwar Dutse” town from the East, “Katsinawa / Sullubawa” towns from the West, “Unguwar Hardo” town from the North and “Maska Gabas” town from the South having Latitude and Longitude of 8.085988 , 11.639298 Decimal Degrees respectively.
Kamanda River is a 3rd order stream that contributes water into Challawa gorge dam. Over the years human activities along the river and elsewhere particularly san mining has increased lateral erosion that has widened the channel making it increasingly difficult to cross thereby disrupting the livelihood of several rural communities that is abundant in the area, where movement of people becomes a life threatening issues. That is not possible now with disastrous consequences.
3. Kauyen ALU is a densely populated area located at Tarauni LGA of Kano State. It is bounded by Gangara from the West, Walawai from the East, Chochu Kwano from the South and Unguwar Asibity from the North. It has a Coordinate geometry location of WGS 8.579229, 952603 Decimal Degrees.
Kauyen ALU site is a major gully erosion type, threatening a densely populated area of the Kano Metropolitan. Already thousands of houses and roads and other infrastructures have been destroyed. Intervention already carried out by the State Government and Ecological Funds in beginning to give way threatening the community. This project will not only have the remaining properties and Infrastructures in the area, but also help the stem the growing menace as at the moment gully is fast expanding southward.
4. Rarin Erosion Control intervention site is located at Dawakin Tofa LGA of Kano State. It is bounded by “Maratayi & Sabon Gari Town from the East, “Yolai & Gwanji” town from the West, “Kanawa town from the South and Mai Kwari town from the North having coordinate geometry of WGS 8.325156, 102390 Decimal Degrees.
The site is made up of gully heads developed on the Rarin River. It has encroached and destroyed properties and infrastructures. The gullies are expanding and will divide Dawakin Tofa into two sections. This is a socio-economic and administration of the area being the headquarters of the Local Government Area, thus disrupting the livelihood of hundreds of houses and thousands of people. The existing intervention through concrete stabilization has only succeeded in pushing the problem to another location in the town.
5. Tudun Fulani Erosion Control Intervention Site is located at Bachirawa town Ungogo LGA of Kano State. It is bounded by “Bokan Daji & Boader towns ” from the East, “Gida Sha biyu town from the North-West. It has a coordinate location of WGS 8.467124, 1043398 Decimal Degrees projected system.
The Site has a major gully that stretches over a Kilometer within a densely low income area of Kano Metropolis. Already thousands of houses and roads and other infrastructures have been destroyed. Many families have been displaced with all their life savings lost. This project will not only save the remaining properties and infrastructure in the area, but also help to stem the growing menace, as the moment the gully is fast expanding west wards towards Bayero University New site campus Kano.
Below is the GIS location of Tudun Fulani :-